Temporomandibular disorders can manifest as chronic facial and neck pain as well as recurrent headaches. The temporomandibular joints (or jaw-joints) connect your lower jaw to your skull. These joints are on the receiving end of a lot of work over the course of day, be it via talking, chewing, yawning and swallowing. Non-productive habits such as grinding or clenching as well as traumatic impacts can over-load these joints and result in pain in and around the area and possibly restricted jaw movement.
Symptoms of TMD include:
- Pain in and around the jaw
- Pain, ringing (tinnitus), or stuffiness in the ears
- Frequent headaches or neck aches
- Locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth
- Swelling on the sides of the face
- Muscle spasms/tenderness in the jaw area
- A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
- Clicking or popping sounds upon jaw movement
If you suffer from any of the above symptoms, please let us know so that we may provide you with a thorough evaluation and make treatment recommendations that are right for you.
Wired Orthodontics is proud to offer TMJ / TMD Treatment Options to patients in Scarborough, Markham, North York, and the Greater Toronto region. Call us today at (647) 344-9473 to schedule complimentary initial consultation.